Welcome

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Brass in Pocket aka Brass in Pocket ( I'm Special)





  "Brass in Pocket" aka Brass in Pocket ( I'm Special)" , by The Pretenders, an English rock band fronted by American singer Chrissie Hynde. "Brass in Pocket" was written by Hynde and James Honeyman-Scott and produced by Chris Thomas. The song was released in November of 1979.

   "Brass in Pocket" is The Pretenders third single and first success. It was #1 on the U.K. Singles Chart for two weeks in January of 1980 (making it the first #1 single of the 1980's), in Australia it was #1 during May of 1980 and #14 on the Billboard Hot 100 Chart in the U.S. ( which I find surprising) . The song's title is taken from an expression Hynde heard from a member of a Yorshire-based support band , Strangeways, who was looking for his money ("brass" meaning money). 


  In an interview with the British newspaper The Observer in 2004, Chrissie Hynde revealed that she was initially reluctant to have the song released : When we recorded the song I wasn't very happy with it and told my producer that he could release it over my dead body, but they eventually persuaded me".





GOT BRASS IN POCKET 

Got brass in pocket
Got bottle* I'm gonna use it
 Intention I feel, inventive
 Gonna make you, make you, make you notice

Got motion, restrained emotion
 Been driving Detroit leaning*
 No reason just seems so pleasing
 Gonna make you, make you, make you notice me

 (CHORUS)

 Gonna use my arms
 Gonna use my legs
 Gonna use my style
 Gonna use my sidestep
 Gonna use my fingers
 Gonna use my, my, my imagination

'Cause I'm gonna make you see 
 There's nobody else here
 No one like me
 I'm special, so special
 I gotta have your attention give it to me

 Got rhythm can't miss a beat
 Got new skank* it's so reet*
 Got something I'm winking at you
 Gonna make you, make you, make you notice me

(CHORUS)

Gonna use my arms
 Gonna use my legs
 Gonna use Style
 Gonna use my sidestep
 Gonna use my fingers
 Gonna use my, my , my imagination 

 Oh... 'Cause I'm gonna make you see
There's nobody else here
 No one like me
 I'm special , so special
 I gotta have some of your attention
 Give it to me
 'Cause I'm gonna make you see 
There's nobody else here 
 No One like me 
 I'm special, so special
 I gotta have some of your attention

 Give it to me

Ooh, when you walk.

_________________________________


*Got Bottle- Have Courage (English slang)

 *skank - move your body side to side ( more English slang I believe)

 * Detroit Leaning - Because Chrissie Hynde is from Akron, Ohio this term was a way of driving, not only in Detroit but throughout the American Midwest

 *Reet - Northern English for 'right' when used as an  adverb to positively pre-qualify a verb. Righteous


  If anyone wants to correct me on any of this or if I got all of the slang right, please write and let me know. 

And for a treat a live performance of "Brass in Pocket" from 3 years ago. Chrissie Hynde hasn't lost it. At first I was worried it had been lip sync but then I thought that was just a way too sacrilegious idea and listened closely. It is Chrissie for live. So I enjoy!











No comments: