Welcome

Monday, August 29, 2011

Katrina

I had a cat named Katrina at one time and my Mom always said if there was ever a hurricane with her name to look out. Well, found out how right my Mom was six years ago.

  It's hard to believe that it has already been 6 years since Hurricane Katrina made her presence known. I remember being at a family reunion in Gulfport, Mississippi and going to the beach, looking out at the Gulf of Mexico and thinking that it was so beautiful but yet could be so dangerous. Two months later the Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf coasts  found out just how dangerous the water could be.

  I started waking up at around 5:30 in the morning an listening to my radio trying to find out what I could about Hurricane Katrina and then I would turn my radio off a get some more sleep. At one point one of the radio stations was playing "Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves, so twisted. Anyway, I did this until about a quarter to nine in the morning that is when the fuse at the end of my driveway blew and no one had power. So what was a person to do? Just get up and get on with life the best as one can without electricity. Having been a hour away from New Orleans there were some high winds and some rain, but honestly I had been in summer thunderstorms that were worse. Compared to most people, including other family members , who are even farther away from New Orleans including the family in Mississippi,  I came out untouched by Katrina because not having electricity was the worst thing that happened.Just depends on fate I guess.  I was in my kitchen six years ago thinking how was I going to cook supper and that was when the power came back on.But my neighbors across the street still didn't have power because the blown fuse services them and the houses behind them, so it was after 10 pm before the got their power. So that is my Hurricane Katrina experience( such as it was).

No comments: